“Talent never exists by itself. Talent only exists because of opportunity.” – Joel Fan
New Mexico School for the Arts, Art Institute and Charter School, assists passionate young artists in developing their full potential through a rigorous mastery arts and academic education.
Statement of Purpose
NMSA is a public/private partnership comprised of the NMSA-Art Institute, a nonprofit art educational institution, and NMSA-Charter School, a New Mexico state charter high school. NMSA’s purpose is to provide the highest standards of excellence in preparing New Mexico’s artistically talented students to compete in the national arena for post-secondary education and/or professional careers in the arts. NMSA offers pre-professional instruction in the performing and visual arts with rigorous academics leading to a high school diploma.
- Provide access to mastery arts education and rigorous academics for New Mexico’s talented young artists, regardless of home location or financial capacity.
- Establish a caring community of artistic learners nurtured and engaged in self-discipline, citizenship, continuous improvement, and joyful learning in and through the arts.
- Provide innovative and creative curricula in arts and academics based on fundamental skills that include exposure to New Mexico arts and culture.
- Prepare students for higher education and/or careers in the arts and to participate in the cultural and creative economy.
- Through partnerships, collaborations and programming, serve as a statewide arts education leader working to encourage arts education throughout the state.
At NMSA students will:
Receive an education up to, and including, college level instruction in the arts that is aligned with the requirements of entrance into higher education institutions and professional arts programs; Excel academically and artistically and graduate with a strong academic and arts education; Develop discipline, a standard of excellence, and self-efficacy in setting and achieving personal goals; Continue their education at post secondary schools or enter the arts work force; Develop a personal appreciation for the arts that will enrich their future lives.
The School admits students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, sexual preference, culture, and religion or with any disability to all of the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to its students. NMSA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, sexual preference, culture, disability and religion in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, financial aid programs and other programs.